On Easter Sunday morning Amanda took the family dog for a walk through the local park, alone. Without any unusual symptoms or warning, she collapsed and went into sudden cardiac arrest.

A couple who happened to be in the park at the time saw her and rushed to her aid, performing CPR, and calling the emergency services.

Fortunately, an ambulance happened to be nearby which was redirected to the park and the paramedics soon took over the CPR from the passer-by. Within a few minutes they were joined by Thames Valley Air Ambulance (TVAA) which was able to land in the park.

After a short while the crew were able to get Amanda breathing again. They were concerned about a possible neurological problem so decided to airlift Amanda to the John Radcliffe Hospital (JR) in Oxford.

From the helicopter, Amanda was taken into the ICU at the JR, where she was joined by her husband and two daughters. Here she was placed into an induced coma and continued to receive care for many weeks.

Amanda was in a coma for two weeks and has made a tremendous recovery. Less than six weeks after her cardiac arrest, she was back walking the beloved family dog. Later that year Amanda was able to watch her daughter compete for Great Britain at the European Games in Baku.

There is no doubt that things would have been much worse had she not been attended to so quickly by the life-saving Ambulance and Thames Valley Air Ambulance crew.

In August 2016, a healthy and happy Amanda visited the Thames Valley Air Ambulance base with her family to meet and thank the crew who saved her life.

Whilst meeting the crew Amanda said, “Thanks to TVAA I could get specialist help on the scene and was transferred quickly to hospital where I received the treatment I urgently needed, I owe them my life.”

18 months on from her cardiac arrest Amanda is doing very well with the help of family and friends. She is now back at work in a new job and is looking forward to new challenges ahead, whilst thankful for the help she received from Thames Valley Air Ambulance.

Amanda and her family meeting the crew