Introducing our new night flight equipped helicopter, G-TVAL
Reaching speeds of up to 160mph, you may have already seen G-TVAL streak across the Thames Valley skies, carrying our highly skilled team of paramedics and doctors on their way to a life-saving mission.
The first of its kind in the UK, our new Airbus H135 helicopter has already completed over 300 day-time missions since its launch in Autumn 2015. With its specialist night vision kit, G-TVAL now enables our crews to deliver their critical care to the most seriously ill or injured people by night as well as by day, meaning more lives can be saved across Berkshire, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire.
Our G-TVAL is based at RAF Benson and features include:
- Twin engines enabling speeds of up to 160 miles per hour
- Integrated navigation, communication and GPS avionics
- GPS approach with vertical guidance, increasing capabilities in poor visibility
- A steerable high intensity spotlight with flood lighting
- Use of night-vision goggles
- Ability to side or rear-load the stretcher
- Multi-functional floor with weight savings of up to 27kg compared to our previous model
It can also carry a larger load over the same distance as our previous model, and has better fuel economy, providing a longer range – perfect for night flying. You can read more about G-TVAL and night flights in our news section.